Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Paper Craft Planet 3-D Tuesday Challenge



For the 3-D Tuesday challenge today on Paper Craft Planet, we're going to create Shadow Box Cards! My fabulous friend Beth sent me a Shadow Box card for St. Patrick's Day and I just loved it, and have enjoyed learning how to create these fun cards! (click on any of these photos for a larger view!)

To start, you'll need 2 pieces of cardstock, cut 4 1/4" x 5 1/2".

Score each piece 1/2" and 1" on both of the short sides, as shown.


Select an appropriate size Nestabilities circle to cut an opening in one piece of the cardstock, making sure to center it between the score lines. (Here I have used the 2nd smallest of my small circles.)


Here you can see my piece with the circle now cut out, and I also cut a scalloped frame for my circle.


Fold the pieces on the score lines, as shown.


Select and prepare an image for your card that will be visible through the circle. Here I am using a just-released image from CC Designs called Honey Bikini.


Measure the inside panel of the back piece. Here you can see that it measures just a hair under 3 1/2" wide, and it's of course, 4 1/4" high. Cut the piece with your image carefully, so it fits inside the back section....


... and glue it in place.


Apply red-line tape or other strong adhesive to both sides of the back piece, and adhere the front piece. Then you can decorate and embellish as desired, as shown below!


I added a little more dimension to my image by stamping the sunglasses in pigment ink, embossing with clear embossing powder, then cutting them out and mounting them with dimensional adhesive so they look just like they're sitting on top of Honey's head!

On the back I've just used a plain scalloped circle for writing my greeting.


And the great thing is that this card will fold flat to fit inside an envelope without any trouble!

See!

OK, now it's your turn! Give this project a try and upload to the gallery at Paper Craft Planet using the tag 3d61 so I can find all the Shadow Box cards and put them in an album together!

6 comments:

Tracey said...

I love this Tammy! What a gorgeous card! Thank you so much for sharing the tutorial! xx

Kim Burmeister said...

Tammy, this is FABULOUS! I haven't made one of these cards yet. Love it!

Barbara said...

Ooooo, thanks for the tutorial! I've been wanting to make one of these cards--now I know how!

Lisa Kind said...

This is so cute, Tammy! I've never done one of these...I'll have to try one soon!

TN Granny said...

Tammy this is precious and I will try to make one on Thursday, tomorrow I have a bone scan and will be out almost the whole day.
I love the tutorial.
Stampin Hugs,
Jeanine
www.blstamper.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much. I've been looking for this using the Scor-Pal. Thanks again. This project is just too cute. I have one that I can go on and make now and feel comfortable with the measurements and the cut-out.