Saturday, August 9, 2014

Shake It Up, Baby! – Catered Crop Recipe Swap

Catered Crop Shaker Card close-up by Tammy Hershberger
Linda is cookin’ it up again this week with the Catered Crop Recipe Swap, but this week the recipe calls for Shake-n-Bake!  We’re making Shaker Cards!  Here are the details…
That’s right, baby. We’re going to shake it up! Just seal in bits of confetti, glitter,  or beads, etc., between cardstock and a sheet protector and shake it – like a snow globe without the water.  It’s the hottest new thing – not the twist – the shake!
For this challenge just add a shaker element to your project and . . .
  • Include a link to us at Catered Crop or add our button, which you can grab on our sidebar or at our {button gallery}.
  • Link up and link often, but be sure you link up by 8:00 PM EST on Saturday, August 16.
  • Keep the party hopping by visiting the other players and leaving comments.
  • Check back with us on August 17 to see if you’ve won an opportunity to be a guest designer.
Linda has gathered a ton of projects and tutorials on a Pinterest board, Shaker Boxes, where you can find the links to all these projects, tutorials on how to make shaker boxes and more.
ShakerBoxMosaic
So, here’s my shaker card for the challenge this week…
Catered Crop Shaker Card by Tammy Hershberger
I’ve had this idea floating (get it… floating?  LOL  I crack myself up!) in my head for awhile now to make a porthole shaker, and I just love how this turned out!  I started out stamping the fish and assorted underwater foliage from the LJD Sea Life stamp set from My Favorite Things on Sno Cone card stock.  After stamping, I spritzed the whole piece with some MIX-ables Sheer Shimmer Mist for a watery look, and added lots of bubbles.  Now, I have to confess… this is actually my second attempt at this card.  On the first one, the foam adhesive I used was SO sticky that all my sequins stuck to the edges inside!  There was NO shakin’ going on, let me tell you!  So I ripped apart, and started over.  And what’d I use, you ask?  Chipboard!  I cut my circle in three layers of medium-weight chipboard, then glued them together for my shaker box!  It worked perfectly.  I may never use the foam again!  The porthole was cut from Steel Blue card stock using the Let’s Get Nautical Die-Namics, then I colored over the card stock with a silver Wink of Stella pen, and added some Glossy Accents to the little holes.  The sentiment, also from LJD Sea Life, was stamped in Steel Blue hybrid ink on a Sour Apple card stock Pierced Fishtail Flags STAX.
  On the Nightshift Blue card stock background I stamped some bubbles using Sweet Tooth pigment ink, and then on the Sno Cone card stock background I used Sno Cone hybrid ink and the Waves stencil.
On the inside I added another sentiment and fish from the Sea Life stamp set…
Catered Crop Shaker Card inside by Tammy Hershberger
And that’s my shaker card, my friends!  I hope you’ll make some time to join us for this challenge, and maybe you’ll be the next guest designer!  Stop by the Catered Crop blog for all the details!
Here are my supplies…


All products from My Favorite Things unless otherwise noted…
Stamps:  LJD Sea Life
Card stock:  Sno Cone card stock, Nightshift Blue card stock, Sour Apple card stock, Steel Blue card stock, Grout Gray card stock
Dies/Stencils:  Let’s Get Nautical, Pierced Fishtail Flags STAX, Blueprints 13; Waves stencil
Inks:  Sno Cone hybrid ink, Factory Green hybrid ink, Berrylicious hybrid ink, Sour Apple hybrid ink, Steel Blue hybrid ink, Nightshift Blue hybrid ink, Grout Gray hybrid ink, Sweet Tooth pigment ink
Other:  MIX-ables Sheer Shimmer Mist; enamel dots (Doodlebug); acetate, sequins
Thanks so much for stopping by!

4 comments:

Linda McClain said...

You crack me up! I always like a good pun - floating around in my head. Love your porthole card too and your ingenious way of making a sticky-free shaker.

Betty Wright said...

This is great, Tammy! I love this look for a shaker. I have this nautical set on my wishlist! Great colors and design!

Monika/Buzsy said...

Fantastic shaker girl! I love how it turned out! The porthole idea is awesome! I might have to CASE that!

Kim S said...

That sticking-sequin thing is a total pain - and I have definitely taken note of how you solved the problem. This card is so fun - a porthole(!) - fabulous!